In this sponsored post I was asked to share alternative ways to clean your carpets without chemicals.
I am so happy to have hardwood instead of carpet in our house but that hasn’t always been the case. With having young children that spend a lot of their time on the floor I want my floors to be clean and free of harmful chemicals. With my hardwoods it is relatively easy but for those with carpet it can prove to be a bit more of a challenge.
Green Cleaning Tips to Clean Your Carpet
- Remove your shoes at the door - This is actually very simple but did you know that up to 85% of the dirt in our homes come from our shoes or pets? Then think about all the places your shoes have been, like the convenience store bathroom, you don’t need to come inside with you.
- Vacuum frequently - This not only removes the surface level dirt but also reduces dust mites that can cause asthma issues.
- Clean up spills immediately – Spills, especially with children are a part of life. To prevent them from soaking in deep, try to use a clean cloth to absorb them as quick as possible.
- Use a DIY carpet cleaner- If you have a stain, mix 1 cup warm water and 1/2 teaspoon mild liquid soap, such as dishwashing liquid or fine fabric detergent. Apply a small amount, blot by pressing a clean white towel into the carpet and lift. Repeat the process as necessary until it is removed.
- Use a steam cleaner -Steam cleaning will make your carpets super clean! Using a simple mixture of vinegar and water you can steam clean your carpets to bring them back to life.
- Use a Green Carpet Cleaning Company – If all else fails and you need to have your carpets cleaned professionally, search out green carpet cleaning companies that use non-toxic and green cleaners.