Week 8 SHOW YOUR PLASTIC CHALLENGE
TOTAL – 58 PIECES, 13.6 OZ
How do you react when life hands you a lemon?
A wise old friend of ours (in her 80s now) once told Amanda & I, “When life hands you a lemon, stick it in your bra.” Everyday, every week we come against obstacles and we could choose to allow those obstacles to interfere with our goals, whatever they might be. If you’re like me I might trip and fall, I might even sustain an injury to my pride or physical health but by goodness, ‘I’m going to stick it in my bra’ or make lemonade out of that “lemon”.
I prefer to be a ‘glass half full’ person. It seems that I fail frequently with my endeavors but I CHOOSE to allow it to be a learning experience to make me a stronger, more determined person. I always learn something in the process and I love to learn. Isn’t that what life’s about – the journey?
It’s all about the journey.
In our plastic free journey this week I suffered a few failures: my first stab at gluten free tortilla chips and crackers were a flop. They turned out to be as hard a rocks – my family did their best to enjoy them anyways with a smile. No complaints. Aren’t they beautiful? My husband keeps trying to hide his plastic items around the house so that I won’t feel like a failure when they are accounted for. He’s very supportive but has a major sweet tooth.
I’m looking forward to my return to the local farmers market this week to conquer the set back we experienced there during week 5 with the plastic packaging taunts. Confidence sells! My goal is to sell the idea of minimizing plastic packaging at the market. I’ll let you know how it goes next week.
Here’s a list of what we consumed this week: Week 8 Table
PLASTIC FREE PROGRESS
- Week 4 of obtaining milk in glass jars locally.
- My quart of homemade yogurt lasted only 2 days.
- 1 – 13 Gallon standard kitchen size garbage bag lasted 23 days! January 23 – February 14 It had to be disposed of due to shrimp peels in the bag; it wasn’t full and would have lasted another week. Goal for next bag is 30 days.
Month 1 Summary – 273 items, 5 lbs 8.3 oz
Week 5 Totals – 54 items, 1 lb 6.5 oz
Week 6 Totals – 52 items, 1 lb 4 oz
Week 7 Totals – 57 items, 1 lb 5 oz
- Complete the Personal Care Substitution worksheet from Beth Terry’s book Plastic Free – How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too.
- Return to Farmers Market to encourage reducing plastic packaging.
- Make homemade goat’s cheese.
- Organize a plastic free ’To Go’ lunch kit.