Today is officially EARTH DAY! My kids asked me today what we would be planting to help the earth today. They didn’t know, we are actually going to be planting fruit trees and starting a garden bed. If you haven’t given thought to what you could do today to celebrate Earth Day, it isn’t too late! Our friends at EnviroKidz were kind enough to sponsor this post so we could share 10 ideas of things you can do today to celebrate!
1. Learn about endangered species! Start Earth Day off with a bowl of Nature’s Path EnviroKidz organic cereal – each box features fun facts about an endangered species and highlights a few ways you can help protect them. It’s a quick and easy way for kids to learn about the importance of protecting animal habitats – and families can feel good about eating their breakfast because Nature’s Path donates 1% of sales of EnviroKidz products to support endangered species, habitat conservation and environmental education for kids worldwide.
2. Plant it Forward: Earth Day is a perfect time to work in a garden – whether a community garden or at your home.
3. Take a Walk on the Wild Side: Kids love getting outdoors and a walk on a trail, in a park or around the neighborhood can connect youngsters to the earth. Make it an adventure with a nature scavenger hunt – give kids a list or pictures to find of trees, flowers and insects.
4. Pedal Power: Give up driving for a day. Grab some wheels – the ones you pedal – or hoof it around the block, to your local store or playground.
5. Reuse Art: Create a fun craft table with only reusable items – from packaging, to newspapers to tins and jars – these leftover items can find new and creative uses.
6. Trash patrol: Armed with reusable bags, kids can do a beach or park clean-up and compete for the most items found (just remember no picking up glass or sharp objects!).
7. Brainstorm: Kids have great ideas – ask them for ideas on how the family can protect the earth every day – perhaps it is one hour less of electricity or having motor-less Sundays – they may surprise you with their brain power.
8. Read together: There are so many wonderful books for kids of all ages (such as Dr. Seuss, The Lorax) that have messages about protecting the earth, so grab a blanket, a book and head outside.
9. Recycle plan: How well does your family recycle? Make a plan to recycle more and set up trash bins for all to participate.
10. Help save the Koalas! EnviroKidz is giving away a 10 day family trip for four to Australia which includes a chance to cuddle with a koala, visit with koala experts and scientists, plant Eucalyptus trees and more! To enter, look inside your EnviroKidz cereal box for your entry code and visit: http://us.envirokidz.com/contests.
By taking just a few minutes to honor Earth Day, your kids will be armed with information and an eagerness to celebrate our planet – ultimately seeding the next generation to value the importance of conservation.
Win an EnviroKidz prize pack
To celebrate, Nature’s Path is giving one reader an EnviroKidz product package (worth $50)! To enter, simply comment with a way that you will be celebrating the Earth with your family.
Must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of the continental US. Void where prohibited. Prizes will be fulfilled by Nature’s Path. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize or it will be forfeited. Happy winnings!