Clean drinking water is a basic necessity that so many of us take for-granted. We have the privilege to live in a developed country where clean water is rather easy to access and is safe from most harmful bacterias and parasites that plague so many other countries. The sad reality is that here in the US and even other developed countries, our water is still for the most part not pure. If you live in an area that the water is treated you are reminded of it when you simply turn on your tap and smell all the chlorine. As a result of so much pollution there are many chemical and pesticide run-off that now plague our water on top of the crazy amount of pharmaceutical drugs that are now showing up in the everyday water supply. Did you know that there is an accepted level of arsenic in our water supply! Well there is.
Does your family currently use a water filtration system?
We always have used filtered water (when we didn’t have fresh spring fed wells) but the reality is now that we have rural water I wanted a water filtration system that could really do the job, not just a basic system. After doing some research I decided that a Berkey System would be a great solution! They are highly recommended and are made right here in the US. Their gravity water filters have fast become trusted household names in more than 140 countries used by relief organizations such as UNICEF and the Red Cross Societies International.
Since they were back ordered on the Big Berkey systems due to the great increase in demand, we actually settled on a Travel size Berkey System. On days we are home, I may have to fill it more than once but the reality is, if you were using a system in your fridge, you were doing that anyways. We decided on the Travel system as it will work great here at home but is also compact enough to be portable. I love the idea of being able to take it with us camping or hiking. There is no electricity required since they are gravity systems.
It was so simple to assemble the system. I first washed them and then the instructions were so easy it was assembled and filled in minutes!
So what sets Berkey Water Filtration Systems apart?
- Berkey water filter systems are far superior to other filtration systems because they can remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, parasites, cysts and chemicals while not stripping the water of what our bodies actually need!
This is information taken directly from their website: The Berkey® system removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes. It also reduces nitrates, nitrites and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury. This system is so powerful it can remove red food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Virtually no other system can duplicate this performance.
- Berkey Water Filter systems are capable of purifying both treated water (municipal/city water) and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds, and water supplies in foreign countries.
- The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey water filter purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them. When they need to be cleaned you can simply take them out, rub them with ScotchBright pad under running water, and put them back in.
What about the costs?
- Each durable Black Berkey Water filter will last up to 3000 gallons (6000 gallons per set of 2). This is so much longer than the majority of water filter solutions on the market.
- At 10 gallons per week, this equates to more than 11.5 years of healthy clean drinking water!
- 1 gallon of Berkey water costs you just 1.7 cents!
- The systems range in price from $150-$325.00
There may be more of an initial cost investment up front, but in the long run you will have a water filtration system that will provide you clean water unlike any other brand and will last. That is so worth it to me! If you were to purchase a gallon of water from a water filtration system at a local market, even just a refill would cost you $.38 & tax. With a Berkey Water Filtration System you would get over 22 gallons for that price!
The Travel Berkey Water Filtration System
The Travel Berkey is constructed of highly polished 304 stainless steel and comes complete with two Black Berkey purification elements. Each durable Black Berkey filter will last up to 3000 gallons (6000 gallons per set of 2). At 10 gallons per week, this is equivalent to 600 weeks. That’s more than 11.5 years of clean water. It has a maximum filtratin rate of 2.5 gallons per hour and will hold 1.5 gallons of water. Again we thought the Travel Berkey would be perfect as it can be stored and is only 12″ tall when the upper chamber is placed inside the lower chamber making it very easy to be portable.
Would you like to win a Travel Berkey Water Filtration System ($228.00 value) from Big Berkey Water Filters?
As part of the Noise Girls Around the House Giveaway Event, you will have the chance to win a prize package designed For the Kitchen that includes a Travel Berkey Water Filtration System! I am so excited the Big Berkey Water Filters offered to be a sponsor in our event! Thank you! Be sure to come back on June 25th to enter for your chance to win!
I was provided with the Travel Berkey System for my review. I was not compensated in any other way. All opinion expressed are 100% mine own.