So we are heading into week three of the eating from The Pantry and Freezer Challenge. I didn’t really think this through since we are also starting on Weight Watchers and in a few things but we will make do the next two weeks. Last week when I was canning all my green beans I decided I would cook a double batch of beans and can them also. Although I cooked them and put them in jars I never did actually can them and we ate beans several times as well as different varieties of bean burritos. I still really need to make extra room in my freezer since I will soon be picking up part of my meat share- 1/.4 beef and some of my 24 chickens. I actually added to my freezer this last week than using some of it with adding my broccoli from my Azure Standard order.
Update on Spending:
Azure Standard Order totaled $60.28 – $30.00 credit from not receiving product last month = $30.28
A bulk of what I spent was on produce and we ate mainly our fresh berries last week so I still have 9 apples left and purchased 2.5lbs of organic grapes. We also were out of lettuce, carrots (5lbs) and celery all which I like to have on hand. I was able to purchase the Luna & Clif bars for free using coupons from the Mambo sprouts coupon books. I picked up the two boxes of Annie’s just to have on hand that were also free with a coupon. The Santa Cruz lemonades were 4 for $5.00 (which we didn’t need) but I picked up to have since we are trying to cut sodas out. The Bio-Bags compostable garbage bags were clearanced from $4.99 to $1.25 a box so I picked up four boxes, we needed garbage bags anyways.
We also picked up two gallons of organic milk @ $5.99 and 2 dozen organic eggs @ $2.00 each that are not pictured. So we are good as far as produce is concerned and have enough meat (even if it is not what we prefer) to make do. In the coming weeks we will need more milk and eggs as well as more fresh produce.
So we are up to $112.23 with our spending and still have $87.77 for the next two weeks. We are in good shape to finish out the challenge!
Learning to Use what you Have
I still have a abundance of almost all dry beans, rice, flour, apple sauce, frozen blueberries, blackberries, and some peaches from last year that need to be used up so we can replace them this summer with fresh ones. I also have frozen brussel sprouts and green beans that need to be used up so those will be included in our meal plan for this week.
With what we have on hand, this is what we are planning for our menu this week:
- Breakfast-Scrambled Eggs, Toast with Strawberry Jam, Apples & Grapes
- Lunch-Spaghetti & Meatballs, Carrot Sticks, Sauteed Cabbage
- Dinner-Stir Fry with Leftover Veggies and Frozen Green Beans
- Breakfast-Blueberry Muffins, Hard Boiled Eggs
- Lunch-PB&J, Apples, Pretzels
- Dinner-Crockpot Pulled Pork, Brussel Sprouts, Brown Rice
- Breakfast-Scrambled Eggs, Fruit
- Lunch-Alphabet Soup, Homemade Bread
- Dinner-Mexican Enchilada Pie, Salads, Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Breakfast-Baked Oatmeal & Fruit
- Dinner-Chicken Pot Pie
- Breakfast-Blackberry Muffins & Fruit Smoothies
- Lunch-Cobb Salads, Whole Wheat Crackers
- Dinner-Ham & Potato Hash, Broccoli & Squash in EVOO
- Breakfast-Leftover Oatmeal, Hard Boiled Eggs, Apple Slices
- Lunch-Spinach & Cheddar Quiche, Carrots
- Dinner-Pizza, Salads
- Breakfast-Scrambled Eggs, Toast, Berries
- Dinner-Pasta E Fagoli Soup with Salads, Ice Pops
To read about the first two weeks of the challenge, go here. Also be sure to check out Stephanie’s site, Keeper of the Home where the challenge began! For those of you that are following along, and I know there are some, how are you doing with your challenge this month?