Did you know that May is National Strawberry picking month? It makes total sense, as the strawberries are at their peak in most states this month. After having to postpone our strawberry picking we finally made it this past weekend!
After driving a little over an hour we reached the farm. There were row after row of fresh ripe and almost too-ripe berries ready and waiting to be picked. We are almost at the end of our season here in Arkansas so I was so happy we got to pick before it was too late! Austin enjoyed his independence and enjoyed skipping from row to row in search of the largest berries! He was so proud to show me each of the berries he thought we the largest, which was about every other one! He couldn’t contain his excitement. After all, he knows that we avoid buying the c conventional strawberries at the store due to the high amount of chemicals present so he was so excited at the thought he could eat all of these berries!
Addie insisted on wearing a hat like her brother, even though it kept covering her eyes. She also enjoyed showing me each of the berries she thought was extra special. Who knew so much delight could come from being in a field of berries! I am so thank-ful that my children require very little to be happy and enjoy in taking part of learning to harvest our food. I think any type of gardening and farming is a great way for children to understand where our food comes from and the work involved. Mine just happen to think it is so much fun, and that makes this Mama happy!
After picking about an hour and twenty minutes and two potty breaks later, we had picked a little over 18 pounds of berries. (The picture above is one of three boxes we picked). We took a short break in the farm’s air-conditioned cafe and Austin chattered non-stop with his questions about the farm. The teenage boy behind the counter was so kind and answered as many questions as he could. We headed out with our berries in tow and a few mini cucumbers that they gave the children.
Once we arrived home, this Mama hopped backed in the car and headed off to pick green beans. As much as I do enjoy having the kiddos, it went very fast picking alone. I was able to pick almost 5 gallons of green beans in a little under an hour. Although I wish it were not as hot right now, I love summer time and gardening! It is very relaxing to be in the garden or on the farm.
To celebrate May being National Strawberry picking month, Stonyfield Yogurt and Tom’s of Maine have teamed up to share some of their favorite Strawberry products with you! For each tube of children’s toothpaste purchased on the Tom’s of Maine site, you will receive an on-pack coupon for $1 off YoKids Greek organic yogurt! You can also save 20% on your entire order with the coupon code: YOKIDS20 until 6/4/12.
Since I am now officially a Stoneyfield Yo-Getter (yay) I also had the privilege to receive an awesome goody bag filled with Stonyfield Products & Free Coupons as well as Tom’s of Maine products. They have kindly offered the same goody bag to one Frugal Greenish Mama reader! This is an awesome pack so be sure to enter below.
- Tom’s of Maine-full 4.2oz tube of Silly Strawberry children’s toothpaste-Available in both Fluoride and Fluoride-Free. The Fluoride-Free Toothpaste uses calcium and silica to gently clean, and the delicious real fruit flavor appeals to your child’s taste buds. The Fluoride toothpaste is the only natural kids’ fluoride toothpaste ADA accepted to help prevent cavities.
- Tom’s of Maine Naturally Dry deodorant-It offers 24 hour odor protection and contains olive leaf extract. Naturally Dry antiperspirant is available in both Unscented and Natural Powder scent and is 100% recyclable from canister to cap, through the Gimme 5 recycling program.
- Tom’s of Maine Daily Moisture soap-This ultra-rich bar soap formula contains premium moisturizing olive oil, natural vitamin E and leaves your skin clean and fresh, without the artificial or synthetic ingredients.
- Stonyfield YoKids and YoKids Greek FREE Product coupons (several)-As the first organic Greek yogurt specially crafted for kids, it has the extra protein kids need and is offered in two kid-friendly flavors, Raspberry and Strawberry. As always with Stonyfield, YoKids Greek is produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones, genetically engineered ingredients, or artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners.
- YoKids temporary tattoos & YoKids Strawberry-flavored Eco Lips chapstick
To enter simply leave a comment letting us know what you favorite strawberry experience was or your favorite strawberry recipe. You can gain an entry for both, but please leave separate comments for each.
This giveaway is open to residents of the US, 18 year of age and older. The giveaway will run from 5/30/12 to 6/8/12 at 11:59PM EST. A winner will be chosen via Random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize. Void where prohibited. I received the above goody bag from the Stonyfield Yo-Getters. All opinions expressed are 100% my own!