In an effort to help promote safer sleep practices among our babies, HALO sponsored today’s post.
Before I had my first child, I hadn’t heard much about SIDS before. When Austin was in the NICU, we took several classes with other parents who were excited to soon be taking home their newborn from the NCIU. One of the classes was SIDS education and after the class it was safe to say I was a bit nervous about it. Education about SIDS is the key to keeping your little one safe!
Did you know that 80-90% of SIDS-related deaths are due to unsafe sleep practices? We CAN do something about! Here are the key points to remember about safe sleep practices.
Safe Sleep Practices
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and at night time.
- Use a crib that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snuggly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
HALO has been striving to reduce those affected by SIDS with their amazing products! HALO Innovation’s SleepSack® wearable blankets have become the standard for hospital nurseries and parents alike. In fact, 1,000 hospital nurseries use the HALO SleepSack Swaddle instead of blankets through the HALO Safer Way to Sleep Initiative. HALO Innovations also offers free Safe Sleep Practices kits to childbirth educators to help further the cause of SIDS prevention.
I had the privilege to review one of their SleepSack Swaddles when Bethany was first born and we loved it! Now with the cooler weather approaching we are excited to have the opportunity to review the HALO SleepSack in Micro-Fleece. Addie helped me pick out the Pink Kitty design. It is so soft to the touch, perfect for your little one. The micro-fleece helps to keep your little one warm while keeping them snuggly protected in their SleepSack. We couldn’t be more excited to keep Miss Bethany safely tucked in her new Pink Kitty design!
During the month of October, HALO will donate $1 to SIDS Awareness for every new Facebook “like”. Let’s help them to make a difference with one click!
Win a HALO SleepSack
This giveaway is now closed! Thanks for entering!